Tyholland 2-9 Rockcorry 2-7

Senior team denied by late penalty strike

Our senior team were denied the two league points in the Monaghan Electrical Intermediate football league when Tyholland over turned a seven point deficit to clinch victory by two points on a scoreline Tyholland 2-9 Rockcorry 2-7.

We opened the scoring on the 3rd minute when Fergal McGeough tapped over a free-kick. We stretched our lead on the 9th minute when Martin Carroll & Niall McKeown combined well to set up Mark McGuirk who slipped past his opponent and showed good composure to blast the ball past the Tyholland goalkeeper. A minute later Tyholland pointed a free-kick after Damien Matthews was adjudged to have fouled his opponent. During the next ten minutes we recorded three consecutive wides with Liam Connolly, Fergal McGeough and Mark McGuirk all off target. However, Mark McGuirk made amends on the 22nd minute when he fired over a lovely point and shortly afterwards when he was hauled down Mark Daly converted the free-kick to open up a 0-1 to 1-3 lead. Tyholland pulled one back on the 24th minute when a sideline ball was allowed to bounce in the square and hopped over the bar. Fergal McGeough tapped over a free-kick on the 25th minute following a foul on Liam Connolly but this was quickly cancelled out when Tyholland slotted over a point to leave the score at the break Tyholland 0-3 Rockcorry 1-4.

We got off to a dream start in the second half after Keith Daly was brought down twenty-five metres from goals and Fergal McGeough’s free-kick was misjudged by the Tyholland defence and dropped in the back on the net. Tyholland responded immediately and Stephen Lynch showed great reactions to make a wonderful save to deny Tyholland a goal but they did manage to notch over a point a couple of minutes later. We extended our lead on the 13th minute when Niall McKeown made a surging solo run through the Tyholland defence and he finished in style for a great individual score to give us what appeared to be a commanding 0-4 to 2-5 lead. However, there would be a sting in the tale as we hit the self-destruct button and we completely lost our rhythm and a resurgent Tyholland team took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored 1-3 during a seven minute purple patch to leave just a solitary point separating the sides. At this stage we were finding it very difficult to get into the game but on the 23rd minute we extended our narrow advantage to two points when Mark Daly converted a free-kick after Niall McKeown was brought down approximately thirty metres from goals. It was now Tyholland’s turn to respond and they duly obliged by kicking two points on the 25th and 26th minutes respectively to level the game 1-9 to 2-6. The game was now a very tense affair and with injury time looming Mark Daly reinstated a one point lead when he pointed from a free-kick after Mark McGuirk was fouled. However, the sucker punch came deep into injury time (six and half minutes!!!) as Tyholland in a last ditch effort launched a frantic attack and when the referee awarded them a penalty following what seemed a very harsh decision against Owen Fitzpatrick they made no mistake to rifle the ball past Stephen Lynch to clinch victory on a score Tyholland 2-9 Rockcorry 2-7. Please click the links below to view a selection of action photographs.

 YouTube Preview Image