Truagh 0-10 Rockcorry 1-11

Reserves clinch victory over determined Truagh outfit

Our reserve team travelled to play Truagh on Wednesday 15th May in the Platinum Tanks reserve football league and while the score-line shows a four point win this was a very uncomfortable hour for the lads because they were forced to battle hard for every ball against a determined Truagh outfit. Thankfully, a converted penalty during the second half put some daylight between the sides and great defending towards the end of the game secured us the victory and the spoils of a final score-line Truagh 0-10 Rockcorry 1-11.

The threatened rain that preceded the match stayed away and the lads got a tremendous start which yielded three points in the opening seven minutes. Dwayne Rooney opened the scoring with a delightful point after the maestro Lorcan Smyth picked him out with a wonderful cross-field pass. Lorcan Smyth soon doubled our lead at the end of a flowing move and he repeated the feat a couple of minutes later when he weaved through the Truagh defence and pointed neatly to lead 0-0 to 0-3 after seven minutes. Truagh registered their first score shortly after with a fine point but this was quickly cancelled out when the lively Lorcan Smyth struck another lovely point to restore our three point advantage 0-1 to 0-4.

At this stage, we appeared to be coasting and perhaps a degree of complacency seemed to creep into our play because as Truagh began to settle they enjoyed their best spell and our lead was short lived as they played some delightful football during the next fifteen minutes and notched over six points, without reply, to lead 0-6 to 0-4 after twenty-five minutes. In fairness, Truagh were extremely impressive during that period and hit over some classy points from play and they should have increased their lead, on the 27th minute, when a score looked inevitable but the phrase “an old dog for the hard road” springs to mind as the battle-hardened Ciaran O’Hart showed his mettle and experience to sniff out the danger and made a timely intersection to set up a swift counterattack and when Martin Carroll teed up Lorcan Smyth he finished in style. With half time approaching Dwayne Rooney completed the scoring with a tidy point to leave the scoreboard showing Truagh 0-6 Rockcorry 0-6 at the interval.

I imagine there were a few choice words expressed during the half-time pep talk because when play started we looked re-energised and with the hard working Rory Carroll, Cathal Sheridan and Ciaran O’Hart defending brilliantly they restricted their opponents to deny them a score and when the evergreen Garry Calvert collected the ball, he did what he does best, and delivered a lengthy measured pass into Lorcan Smyth who cut into the large parallelogram and when he was brought down the ultra-confident Dwayne Rooney calmly and accurately dispatched the spot kick to the net with aplomb to give us a lead that we would never relinquish. Truagh replied with a point on the 9th minute but almost immediately after Shane Wynne gathered possession he delivered a lovely pass to Garry Calvert who in turn laid off to Martin Carroll and under pressure his shot bisected the uprights for a sweet finish.

Truagh came roaring back and Dean Fay had to show his alertness on the 12th minute, and he did brilliantly, pulling off a great save to deny Truagh a goal, but unfortunately the ball fell kindly and they managed to tap it over the bar to narrow the deficit, 0-8 to 1-7. Our next score, on the 14th minute, reminded me off the Harlem Globetrotters (if you’re not familiar with them they are a famous basketball team well-known for their ball-handling wizardry and their exhibition style approach to the game) because it involved several of our players who combined with lovely inter-passing movement up and across the field and when Lorcan Smyth collected he finished a superb move with a fabulous score to restore our three point cushion, leading 0-8 to 1-8.

We had barely time to catch our breaths before Martin Carroll caught the ensuing kick-out and showed great resilience to finish with a neat point. However, Truagh pulled a point back on the 20th minute to reduce the gap but down the other end Dwayne Rooney hit the woodwork not once but twice in quick succession. First hitting the upright and when he collected the loose ball his second effort was blasted off the crossbar but, thankfully, Keelan Clerkin was the right man in the right place as he collected the rebound and lobbed it over the bar. Martin Carroll added a further point to put us five points ahead before Truagh rallied and a last grasp effort from them resulted in Dean Fay making another top-class save to ensure a clean sheet but during additional time they managed to notch over a point to round off the scoring and leave the final score Truagh 0-10 Rockcorry 1-11.

To view a selection of action photographs please click the link below to visit our Flickr page.

Team & Scorers: Dean Fay, Cathal Sheridan, Rory Carroll, Ciaran O’Hart, Corey Smith, Keelan Clerkin (0-1), Ross Murray, Martin Carroll (0-3), Garry Thornton, Andrew Carroll, Dwayne Rooney (1-2), Shane Wynne, Lorcan Smyth (0-5), Aaron Clerkin, Garry Calvert. Subs: Anthony Tate for Garry Thornton (injured), Jude Walls for Aaron Clerkin, Aaron Clerkin for Andrew Carroll, Andrew Carroll for Corey Smith, Corey Smith for Ross Murray.