Toome 0-11 Rockcorry 0-9

Spirited performance not enough as seniors lose close encounter

Our senior team played their second game of the Monaghan Electrical intermediate league on Sunday afternoon (15th April) when they travelled to play Toome.  With so many of our first team players absent through injury the lads battled hard, they displayed   an enormous amount of effort and showed great team spirit and character but unfortunately they were unable to convert enough scores and the game finished Toome 0-11 Rockcorry 0-9.

There was never really much between the sides during the game and Toome opened the scoring on the 4th minute when they pointed from play. This was quickly cancelled out when Mark McGuirk converted a free-kick after Niall McKeown was brought down. Paul McKeown kicked wide on the 7th minute and Toome went ahead a minute later when they slotted over a neat point from play. At this stage of the game Toome enjoyed the Lion’s share of possession and missed scoring opportunities on the 10th and 11th minutes but they did manage to raise the white flag a couple of minutes later and stretched their advantage, on the 17th minute, when they sent over another fine point from play to leave the score 0-4 to 0-1.

Mark McGuirk collects the ball ahead of his opponent

When Paul McKeown was hauled down on the 22nd minute Mark McGuirk coolly fired between the posts and moments later Mark added another when he sailed over a lovely point from the right wing to reduce the deficit to a single point. Stephen McGuirk drew the sides level on the 25th minute following good work by Paul McKeown down the left wing and shortly afterwards we edged in front with a superb point from Fergal McGeough after a lovely build up involving Mark McGuirk, Paul McKeown and Garry Calvert. We increased our lead on the 30th minute when Mark McGuirk was fouled and after he dusted himself down he curled over the resultant free-kick to leave the score at the interval Toome 0-4 Rockcorry 0-6.

Paul McKeown is first to the ball in this action shot

When the second half resumed Toome started the better and took control of proceedings and quickly transferred the two point deficit into a four point advantage when they scored six points without reply to lead 0-10 to 0-6 after twelve minutes. In truth, we looked doomed at this juncture but their heads never dropped and while a number of half chances came our way they unfortunately led to nothing but thankfully Mark McGuirk bucked the trend after eighteen fruitless minutes when he fired over a terrific point from the left wing. We succeeded to narrow the gap when Fergal McGeough scored on the 23rd minute and I imagine our supporters were further encouraged when Paul Mckeown tapped over a couple of minutes later to leave just a solitary point separating the sides, Toome 0-10 Rockcorry 0-9.

"I can fly!!!" Damien Matthews rises high in his bid to win the ball in this tussle with his opponent

As we went in search of the equaliser we struggled to get the ball into a scoring opportunity but in the closing stages of normal time Colin Quinn collected the ball but sadly his attempt at the posts was blocked and Toome broke at pace and they were awarded a free-kick which they duly converted to leave the scoreboard reading Toome 0-11 Rockcorry 0-9.

To view a selection of action photographs on our Flickr site please click the link below:

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Keelan Clerkin, Damien Matthews, Conor McGeough, Stephen McGuirk 0-1, Johnny Reilly, Colin Quinn, Niall McKeown, Fergal McGeough 0-3, John Greenan, Garry Calvert, Cathal Sheridan, Rory Carroll, Mark McGuirk 0-4, Paul Mckeown 0-1. Subs: Eoin Fitzpatrick for John Greenan (injured), Aaron Clerkin for Niall McKeown (injured).