Sean McDermotts 2-7 Rockcorry 1-13

Rock secure the spoils after tough encounter

Our senior team played their second game within forty-eight hours in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate football league when they travelled to Threemilehouse on Sunday 2nd September and it proved to be a very exciting, nail-biting and bruising encounter. We were made to fight all the way in this highly entertaining encounter which ebbed and flowed throughout and the sides were level on six occasions during the game.  It was a real war of attrition and our lads gave  as good as they were getting and after weathering the storm we showed great leadership in the last ten minutes to notch over some crucial scores to fully merit our victory on a score-line Sean McDermott’s 2-7 Rockcorry 1-13.

Sean McDermott’s started brightly and within two minutes blasted the ball past Jamie Smith to take an early lead. During these opening exchanges we were struggling for inspiration but we kicked into life on the 5th minute when Paul McKeown registered our first score, after good approach play by Mark Daly and Garry Calvert. Keith Daly was adjudged to have fouled his opponent on the 8th minute and Sean McDermott’s duly converted the free-kick to restore their three point lead, 1-1 to 0-1. Both teams missed scoring opportunities during the next couple of minutes but we managed to reduce the deficit on the 15th minute when Fergal McGeough collected the ball along the left wing and he cut inside his marker and finished with a brilliant score. Sean McDermott’s tapped over a free-kick two minutes later to regain a three point gap and we had decent chances on the 18th and 19th minutes but Mark McGuirk and Lorcan Smyth both kicked wide. We did manage to add to our tally moments later when Fergal McGeough dissected the uprights from a free-kick after Paul Mckeown was brought down to leave the score 1-2 to 0-3.

Damien Matthews is at full stretch as he claims the high ball

We took the lead, on the 21st minute, albeit in fortunate circumstances when we were aided by a Sean McDermott’s player who finished to his own net. The move started with Damien Matthews breaking down an attack and when Stephen Lynch gathered the ball he delivered a measured pass to the onrushing Mark Daly whose shot at goals was well-saved by the Sean McDermott’s goal-keeper but the rebound ricocheted off a home player and spun into an empty net to leave the score 1-2 to 1-3. Conor McGeough, who had a solid game throughout, broke down another promising attack by Sean McDermott’s and we launched a swift counterattack that included Keelan Clerkin and Garry Calvert who laid off to Paul McKeown who made a gut bursting run weaving through the Sean’s defence and he teed-up Anthony Tate who fisted the ball over the bar. However, just seconds later Sean McDermott’s regained the lead when they found the net with a wonderful strike, from twenty-five metres, that gave Jamie Smith no chance as it hit the top corner to leave the score 2-2 to 1-4. With half time approaching Lorcan Smyth was fouled and Fergal McGeough again did the needful and superbly sailed the free-kick over the bar to complete the scoring of the first-half and leave the scoreboard showing Sean McDermott’s 2-2 Rockcorry 1-5.

Conor McGeough has the pace to win possession ahead of his opponent

We wasted no time at the beginning of the second half and went ahead when Mark Daly lobbed over a free-kick following a foul on Martin Carroll after fifty seconds but Sean McDermott’s levelled matters on the 2nd minute with a fine point. The sides continued to trade points and one of the best scores of the half arrived on the 4th minute when Keelan Clerkin made a super catch and shipped the ball to Mark McGuirk who linked up with Stephen Lynch and in the blink of an eye the ball was over the bar to restore our narrow lead, 2-3 to 1-7. Mark Daly kicked wide on the 5th minute but down the other end Sean McDermott’s equalised with a neat point from play. Fergal McGeough put us ahead once more, on the 8th minute, when he pointed a monster free after Mark Daly was hauled down but then Sean McDermott’s hit right back to level proceedings once again, 2-5 to 1-8. The tit-for-tat nature of the game continued and we went ahead on the 10th minute when Niall McKeown picked off a super point after great interplay from numerous players but Sean McDermott’s nullified that immediately with another score that was fisted over the bar.

During the next ten minutes or so neither side managed to add to the scoreboard but when Conor McGeough made a superb block, on the 20th minute, it instigated a lovely move down the field that involved Keith Daly, Stephen Lynch and Fergal McGeough who slipped a marvellous pass through to Martin Carroll and the midfielder struck a classy score from twenty-five metres to put us ahead once more, leading 2-6 to 1-10. Anthony Tate lofted over his second point from an awkward angle, on the 22nd minute, to give us a two point cushion and when Paul McKeown was fouled two minutes later Fergal McGeough showed good composure and coolly converted the free-kick to put three points between the sides.

Mark McGuirk reaches out to collect the loose ball

We missed a couple of chances to extend our advantage when Anthony Tate and Keelan Clerkin kicked wide on the 25th and 26th minutes but Sean McDermott’s made no mistake when they tapped over a free-kick moments later to leave the score Sean McDermott’s 2-7 Rockcorry 1-12. At this stage Sean McDermott’s went in search of goals but came up against stout defending and when Paul McKeown made a timely interception it started a move down the field and when Mark Daly gathered possession he curled over a fabulous point to put us in a commanding position. Moments later the referee blew the final whistle to leave the scoreboard showing Sean McDermott’s 2-7 Rockcorry 1-13.

*****To view more action photographs from the game please click the link below*****

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Conor McGeough, Damien Matthews, Niall McKeown 0-1, Garry Calvert, Keith Daly, Stephen Lynch 0-1, Martin Carroll 0-1, Mark Daly 1-2, Keelan Clerkin, Paul McKeown 0-1, Lorcan Smyth, Mark McGuirk, Anthony Tate 0-2 and Fergal McGeough 0-5.