Rockcorry 2-18 Donaghmoyne 2-13

Seniors nab crucial league points

With the under 14 footballers winning the Division 6 Shield Cup earlier in the day our senior team turned a good Saturday into a great Saturday when they secured a victory over Donaghmoyne in the Monaghan Electrical Intermediate football league. The game was played in front of a very small but nevertheless an enthusiastic crowd and the two evenly matched teams produced a very enjoyable contest that yielded a high scoring encounter that delivered thirty five top quality scores.

There was a very cagey start to this game with some hard hitting early on and while Donaghmoyne had the first chance to open the scoring on the 3rd minute but we were first to settle through a point from Lorcan Smith, on the 5th minute, following a good move that included Keelan Clerkin, Mark McGuirk and Paul McKeown. We added another point on the 6th minute when Anthony Tate was fouled and Mark Daly took a short free-kick to Noel Carroll who lobbed over the bar to put us two ahead. Good defending by Niall McKeown on the 7th minute instigated a lovely move down the field that involved a number of players including Noel Carroll, Paul McKeown and Anthony Tate who set-up Stephen Lynch who flicked the ball to the back of the net to leave the score Rockcorry 1-2 Donaghmoyne 0-0 after seven minutes. We continued to play some lovely free-flowing football with the passing and delivery superb and when Noel Carroll skipped past his marker on the 11th minute he had a great chance to put eight points between the sides and while his shot blazed past the Donaghmoyne goal-keeper it sadly rebounded off the crossbar. Unfortunately, less than thirty seconds later we were taking the ball out of our own net as Donaghmoyne broke swiftly and buried the ball to leave the score 1-4 to 1-0.

A super block by Damien Matthews on the 13th minute ended with Lorcan Smyth dissecting the uprights with a superb point and moments later he repeated the feat with another well taken score after good approach play from Stephen Lynch and Mark McGuirk. Donaghmoyne narrowed the gap on the 15th minute with a point from play and two minutes later they reduced the deficit further when they converted a free-kick to leave the score 1-4 to 1-2. Mark Daly added a point, on the 18th minute, following a lovely measured pass from Johnny Reilly and shortly afterwards Paul McKeown curled over a sweet point after good approach play from Mark McGuirk and Anthony Tate. At this juncture we were cruising but nobody realised that that point would be our last score of the first half as Donaghmoyne upped their performance and started their comeback and notched over three unanswered points before scoring their second goal on the 28th minute. A high hanging delivery was misjudged by our defenders and the corner forward had all the time in the world and rattled home the ball past Jamie Smith. Donaghmoyne converted a free-kick on the 30th minute to leave the score at the interval Rockcorry 1-6 Donaghmoyne 2-6.

Within a minute of the restart Noel Carroll lofted over a classy point to reduce the arrears to two points. Lorcan Smyth, who obviously brought his shooting boots to the game, glided over another splendid point after good approach play by Mark McGuirk and Keelan Clerkin.  Donaghmoyne converted a free-kick on the 6th minute to restore their two point advantage. A routine free-kick from Mark McGuirk on the 7th minute, following a foul on Anthony Tate, reduced the deficit to the bare minimum and within a couple of minutes Mark Daly fired over a monstrous free-kick to draw the side’s level. We took the lead a couple of minutes later when Anthony Tate teed-up Mark McGuirk who finished to the net to leave the score 2-10 to 2-7.

Donaghmoyne converted a free-kick on the 14th minute before Lorcan Smyth picked off another super point from long range. Mark Daly added another point to stretch our lead to four points but this was quickly cancelled out when Donaghmoyne tapped over a free-kick. Anthony Tate kicked wide on the 19th minute before Donaghmoyne were awarded a controversial free-kick after Niall McKeown was adjudged to have fouled his opponent when everybody in the crowd and on the side-line felt it should have been the other way! The lively Paul Mckeown, who worked tirelessly throughout, showed great determination on the 21st minute, when he collected a pass from Barry Patterson and after dodging a couple of tackles he finished in style to maintain a three point gap, 2-13 to 2-10.

Noel Carroll fired over the bar on the 24th minute and although he has often hit the net from such situations in the past, a point was definitely the wiser option at this stage. A bustling run, a minute later, by Johnny Reilly earned a free-in and Mark Daly again did the needful and sailed the ball between the posts to increase our lead to five points, leading 2-15 to 2-10. Donaghmoyne slotted over a neat point on the 26th minute and three minutes later when the referee overruled one of his umpires who had signalled a wide he awarded a forty-five which subsequently dropped short but they managed to pop it over the bar to leave it 2-15 to 2-12.

The gradient facing Donaghmoyne got much steeper towards the end of the game and during time added on Mark McGuirk showed impressive control to raise a white flag on the 31st minute. Paul McKeown followed this up with another fine score and Colin Quinn, who was introduced into the game for the injured Lorcan Smyth, got on the scoresheet with a peach of a point on the 33rd minute to give us some breathing space. It was Donaghmoyne who had the last attack but came up against stern defending and while there attempt at goals hit the crossbar it nevertheless went over the bar to leave the final score Rockcorry 2-18 Donaghmoyne 2-13

To view a selection of action photographs from the game please click the link below:

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Conor McGeough, Damien Matthews, Niall McKeown, Garry Calvert, Keith Daly, Stephen Lynch 1-0, Mark Daly 0-4, Johnny Reilly, Lorcan Smyth 0-5, Paul McKeown 0-3, Keelan Clerkin, Anthony Tate, Noel Carroll 0-3, Mark McGuirk 1-2. Subs: Barry Patterson for Garry Calvert, Colin Quinn 0-1 for Lorcan Smyth.