Rockcorry 2-16 Sean McDermott 1-7

Improved performance sees senior team secure the spoils

This year, to date, has been nothing short of horrible as we have had to go from one injury crisis to another. But when our senior team played Sean McDermott’s on Sunday 13th May in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate football league a whopping twelve point winning margin is more that anyone could have hoped for considering the performances to date! A scoring blitz, that yielded 2-3 in the space of ten minutes during the first half, proved decisive as they put in a much improved and spirited performance against Sean McDermott’s to secure the two valuable league points on a final score-line Rockcorry 2-16 Sean McDermotts 1-7.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable game of football (from our point of view) that produced an abundance of scores, many of which were out of the top drawer. The game started in glorious sunshine but there was a strong breeze blowing directly down the field and Sean McDermotts playing with the elements  got off to a whirlwind start and opened the scoring after forty-seconds with a fine point from play and they doubled their lead two minutes later when they notched over another point. Mark McGuirk opened our account on the 7th minute when he tapped over a free-kick and within a minute we drew level when Colin Quinn fired between the uprights following good approach play by Martin Carroll, Barry Patterson, Conor McGeough and Mark McGuirk. By the 14th minute we were ahead when a fine move involving Martin Carroll and Colin Quinn culminated with Mark McGuirk being fouled and after dusting himself down he coolly converted the free-kick from the dead-ball.  Shortly afterwards Mark McGuirk was involved in the action again and when he was dragged down his older brother Stephen directed the free-kick to Mark  Daly and he slotted over the bar to increase our lead to two points, 0-4 to 0-2.

Paul McKeown breaks away from his opponent

At this stage there had been little or nothing to separate the teams but then everything changed as we started to dominate proceedings and outscored our opponents by 2-3 to 0-0 over the next ten minutes to open up an eleven point advantage. It started on the 17th minute when Noel Carroll gave the Sean McDermott’s goal-keeper no chance and blasted home our first goal from close range following good work by Paul McKeown and Barry Patterson. A couple of minutes later we then scored two points on the trot with Paul McKeown slotting over on the 20th minute and Noel Carroll added another, on the 22nd minute, when he delivered a mesmeric dummy before curling over a peach of a point with the outside of his right foot.  Noel Carroll was brought down on the 23rd minute and the reliable Mark McGuirk converted the free-kick and moment later when Noel Carroll was hauled down in the large parallelogram Mark Daly stepped up and drove a low shot to the back of the net to give us a commanding 2-7 to 0-2 lead. With the half coming to an end Sean McDermott’s concluded the scoring  when they notched over a fine point on the 28th minute to leave the score at the interval Rockcorry 2-7 Sean McDermott’s 0-3.

Noel Carroll is brought down in the large square

The second half started similar to the first and Sean McDermott’s were first on the scoreboard after forty seconds when they tapped over a free-kick from close range and a couple of minutes later they added another to reduce the gap to eight points (2-7 to 0-5). The roving Barry Patterson showed his experience when he found space on the edge of the large square and fisted the ball over the bar but this was quickly cancelled out as Sean McDermott’s replied with another point from play. Mark Daly pointed on the 8th minute and after Noel Carroll made a surging solo run through the heart of the Sean’s defence he picked out Paul McKeown who skipped away from his marker and finished with a beautiful point. Within thirty seconds, Mark Daly added another great point to leave the score after ten minutes Rockcorry 2-11 Sean McDermott’s 0-6.

The Sean McDermott player goes to ground following the challenge from Keith Daly & Stephen McGuirk

On the 12th minute Sean McDermott’s struck for a goal and during the next four minutes they were unlucky not to reduce the deficit further as they kicked wide on the 13th, 14th and 16th minutes. Just when it appeared as though Sean McDermott’s were gaining the upper hand we regained the momentum and continued to press for further scores and four unanswered points from Mark Daly, Stephen McGuirk (two) and Mark McGuirk left the scoreboard showing Rockcorry 2-15 Sean McDermott’s 1-6. Sean McDermott’s responded with a late point on the 26th minute and with a strong breeze on his back Mark Daly had the final say when he launched a monstrous point from mid-field to claim our second win of the campaign on a final score Rockcorry 2-16 Sean McDermotts 1-7.

I imagine our team management and players will be delighted to have bagged the two points and indeed the supporters will be relieved that the lads came through what was a serious test. With a crippling injury list aided with a number of players working and studying away the start of this year’s campaign has not been easy but the lads showed tremendous character and spirit on the field and were not found wanting. They have now set a standard for themselves and it’s up to them to keep it up and build on this performance. While we have serious improving to do we have to believe that we our capable of turning things around and the result from today’s game will hopefully be the catalyst for greater things to come in this year’s competition? Keep up the good work lads.

To view a selection of action photographs on our Flickr page please click the link below:

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Keith Daly, Keelan Clerkin, Conor McGeough, Stephen McGuirk 0-2, Garry Calvert, Colin Quinn 0-1, Martin Carroll, Mark Daly 1-5, Stephen Lynch, Noel Carroll 1-1, Barry Patterson 0-1, Dwayne Rooney, Mark McGuirk 0-4 and Paul McKeown 0-2. Subs: Eoin Fitzpatrick for Barry Patterson and John Greenan for Noel Carroll.