Rockcorry 2-11 Toome 0-8

Seniors Secure Comfortable Victory

While the dream is over for the boys in green in Poznan, it was the men in green & white, from Rockcorry, that maintained their winning ways as our senior team enjoyed a comfortable nine point win against Toome in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate football league campaign. The game was played on Sunday 17th June in Pairc Naomh Mhuire and thankfully, the threatened rain never materialised but unfortunately the game dragged on at a pace that never quite reached any great heights or level of excitement because in truth had we not been so wasteful with our chances the game should have been wrapped up and out of sight by half time as we totally controlled it.

The opening five minutes of the match were scoreless as both sides missed early chances before Mark Daly put us in front on the 6th minute with a terrific long range point from forty-five metres. Our first goal quickly followed when Noel Carroll collected a pass from Mark McGuirk and he blasted the ball past the Toome goal-keeper for a well-taken goal. At this stage we took control and dominated the game and lovely approach play, on the 11th minute, by Johnny Reilly, Martin Carroll and Noel Carroll teed up Anthony Tate who found some space on the edge of the square and fisted the ball over the bar to extend our lead. The one way traffic continued and when Stephen McGuirk surged forward, on the 19th minute, he was brought down and his younger brother, Mark McGuirk, showed calmness and split the posts to leave the score 1-3 to 0-0.

Toome registered their first score on the 20th minute when they converted a free-kick but corner forward Paul McKeown turned on the style and replied with a tremendous point from a tight angle on the 23rd minute. Toome plugged away and they were rewarded with another free-kick, on the 25th minute, which they duly tapped over but shortly afterwards the reliable Stephen McGuirk showed his accuracy with a lovely free-kick, following a foul on Anthony Tate. Mark Daly completed the scoring of the half with a sweet point to leave the score at the interval Rockcorry 1-6 Toome 0-2.

The second half was largely a scrappy affair and Toome pointed after five minutes to close the arrears. We responded swiftly when Anthony Tate notched over a fine point but this was quickly cancelled out when Toome lobbed over another fine point. The tit-for-tat scoring continued with Toome firing over on the 15th minute for a neat point and Noel Carroll replied a couple of minutes later when he dissected the uprights with a superb effort from long range to leave the score after eighteen minutes Rockcorry 1-8 Toome 0-5. While it appeared we took the foot of the gas during the second period Mark Daly stretched our advantage when he rifled home our second goal on the 20th minute following a lovely build up from Conor McGeough, Keelan Clerkin and Martin Carroll. Two minutes later Toome pointed and when Anthony Tate was fouled on the 24th minute Mark Daly glided over the resultant free-kick to leave the score 2-9 to 0-6.

As Toome went in search for goals, they found our defence, marshalled by Damien Matthews, Johnny Reilly and Stephen Lynch, in defiant mood and had to settle with points as they scored two quick-fire points on the 25th and 26th minutes to narrow the gap. However, we didn’t panic and finished the game the stronger as moments later Martin Carroll and Keelan Clerkin combined nicely to setup Mark Daly for a lovely point and Martin Carroll made doubly sure, to become our fifth player to score from play when he hit a wonderful point from thirty metres to leave the final score Rockcorry 2-11 Toome 0-8.

We can take plenty of heart from many aspects of our display from this game but we will know that improvements will be needed if we are to be a force in the business end of the competition. We had a reasonable amount of possession but misplaced passes, laboured moves, shooting from near-impossible positions on occasions and missing some great chances in the process will certainly require attention on the training field. Nevertheless, a win is a win, and we have now maintained our unbeaten run for the last four league games (three wins and one draw) and this should give the lads confidence and motivation as we move closer to the first round of the McGuigan Builders championship encounter against Corduff. Well done lads and keep up the good work.

Please click the link below to view a selection of action photographs from the game.

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Conor McGeough, Damien Matthews, Keith Daly, Johnny Reilly, Stephen Lynch, Colin Quinn, Martin Carroll 0-1, Mark Daly 1-4, Stephen McGuirk 0-1, Noel Carroll 1-1, Keelan Clerkin, Paul McKeown 0-1, Mark McGuirk 0-1, Anthony Tate 0-2. Subs: Barry Patterson for Keith Daly (injured), Lorcan Smyth for Mark McGuirk (injured)