Rockcorry 2-11 Inniskeen 1-10

Strong Finish Secures the Spoils

Our senior team maintained their push for a top four position in the league campaign when they edged out Inniskeen with an impressive performance on Wednesday 27th June at Pairc Naomh Mhuire. The game was largely a scrappy affair, but both teams did their best and served up an entertaining and lively contest considering the underfoot conditions were very wet and slippery. During the match our lads showed commendable spirit, and displayed good battling qualities to grind out a fully deserved win over a dogged and a strong Inniskeen side on a score –line Rockcory 2-11 Inniskeen 1-10.

We started brightly and opened the scoring on the 3rd minute when Martin Carroll fired between the uprights from an acute angle and Fergal McGeough doubled our advantage two minutes later following good work by Noel Carroll. Inniskeen soon got into their stride and rattled over four unanswered points between the 6th and 10th minute to lead by 0-2 to 0-4. Mark Daly replied with a fabulous point on the 12th minute following a lovely move including Paul McKeown, Fergal McGeough and Martin Carroll. Paul McKeown edged us in front on the 13th minute when he raced through for a great goal and within a minute, he had the Rock supporters on their feet when he played a one-two with Noel Carroll and from close range gave the Inniskeen goal-keeper no chance when blasting to the net to put us in a commanding position, leading by five points 2-3 to 0-4. We maintained our dominance and were rewarded with further scores from Fergal McGeough and Mark Daly while Inniskeen on the other hand added a point to leave the half-time score Rockcorry 2-5 Inniskeen 0-5.

The half-time team talk seemed to have worked wonders for Inniskeen because they were straight out of the traps and within fifty seconds had rifled the ball to the back of the net to close the gap to three points 2-5 to 1-5. We had other ideas however and three quick-fire points cancelled out the goal. The first came from the boot of Mark Daly who converted a free-kick following good work by Fergal McGeough. Lorcan Smyth added a classy second point and when Lorcan Smyth was brought down on the 10th minute Mark Daly stepped up and tapped over a routine free-kick to restore a six point lead, 2-8 to 1-5.

At this juncture we appeared to be coasting but Inniskeen raised their level of performance and fought back admirably and whipped over five points, without reply, between the 12th and 24th minute to leave the bare minimum separating he sides, 2-8 to 1-10. With the deficit down to a single point it was anybody’s game and what followed was an “intense” sequence of action where both sides strove to establish supremacy. The action was frenetic during the closing stages as Inniskeen sensed a possible victory and were tackling and battling for every ball with great passion and vigour!

However, our lads gave as good as they were getting and to use the words of a well-known Billy Ocean song “when the going gets tough, the tough get going”, because those scores from Inniskeen seemed to spur our lads into action and once we regrouped we began to reassert ourselves and dominated the closing stages of the game. Mark Daly was fouled on the 27th minute and after he composed himself he coolly sailed the bar over the bar and Fergal McGeough added another point following a lovely build-up involving Dwayne Rooney and Noel Carroll to stretch our advantage to three points.  Stephen McGuirk rounded off the scoring with a wonderfully converted free-kick to leave the final score Rockcorry 2-11 Inniskeen 1-10.

To view a selection of action photographs from the encounter please click the link below to visit our Flickr page.

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Conor McGeough, Damien Matthews, Keith Daly, Stephen McGuirk 0-1, Stephen Lynch, Colin Quinn, Martin Carroll 0-1, Mark Daly 0-5, Noel Carroll, Fergal McGeough 0-3, Keelan Clerkin, Anthony Tate, Paul McKeown 2-0 and Lorcan Smyth 0-1. Subs: Garry Calvert for Keelan Clerkin and Dwayne Rooney for Anthony Tate