Rockcorry 1-17 Fergal O’Hanlon’s 1-5

Strong second half performance propels reserve team to next round

Rockcorry GAA - Reserve Team


Last Friday evening (3rd June) our reserve team saw off the challenge from Fergal O’Hanlon’s in emphatic style to progress to the next round of the Platinum Tanks reserve football championship. While the final score-line shows a twelve point victory and suggests this was a comfortable victory for our reserve team, and towards the end it probably was. However, it was not all fun and games and during the first half our display was topsy-turvy and although we had our fair share of possession our play was error ridden with some poor passing and some wayward shooting.  At the end of the first half Fergal O’Hanlon’s seemed to be in a good position as they enjoyed a two point lead, leading 0-4 to 1-3. Thankfully, during the second half we completely transformed and were in prolific scoring form as we notched up an impressive 1-13 to their 0-2 to emerge victorious on a final score-line Rockcorry 1-17 Fergal O’Hanlon’s 1-5.

Fergal O’Hanlon’s had a slight wind advantage during the first half and took the lead on the 5th minute with a fine point but moments later we replied when Kyle Rooney sent over a lovely point to draw the sides level. Fergal O’Hanlon’s regained the lead on the 12th minute after a forty-five landed in our danger zone and it broke nicely for the Fergal O’Hanlon’s corner forward who blasted it past Stephen Lynch from a couple of metres. We responded immediately with a fine flowing move down the field that involved Conor McGeough and Fergal McGeough and when Ryan Sharkey collected the ball he fired between the uprights. Fergal McGeough added another point on the 15th minute to close the gap to a single point 0-3 to 1-1. However, Fergal O’Hanlon’s continued to mount the pressure and a superb save by Stephen Lynch on the 20th minute denied them a goal opportunity but arising from the resulting forty-five the ball was delivered into our goalmouth and was intelligently punched over the bar to restore a two point lead. Play quickly switched to the opposite end and when Seamus Carroll collected the ball he grabbed a point. As half time approached Fergal O’Hanlon’s pointed on the 31st minute to leave the score at the break Rockcorry 0-4 Fergal O’Hanlon’s 1-3.

On reflection of our first half performance I imagine there was quite a strong pep talk during the break because on the restart we really moved up through the gears to completely dominate proceedings. The scores came thick and fast in a pulsating second half with the energetic Keelan Clerkin starting the onslaught after just two minutes with a lovely point. Further scores from Dwayne Rooney (0-2) and Fergal McGeough (0-1) quickly transformed a two point deficit into a two point lead. We forged ahead further on the 8th minute when the skilful Seamus Carroll scored an absolutely stunning goal following a truly wonderful move (one might off thought you were watching the European Champions Barcelona, as the passing and movement was truly inspirational). It started with a magnificent catch from our midfielder Liam Connolly and he quickly off-loaded to Ryan Sharkey who skipped past his marker and delivered a sweet pass into Dwayne Rooney who in turn found Seamus Carroll on the edge of the square and he finished clinically to the top corner. Liam Connolly who kicked a couple of wides during the first half and hit the upright with an earlier attempt, eventually managed to get his name on the score sheet when he sailed over a wonderful point from the left wing on the 10th minute to open up a six point advantage 1-9 to 1-3.

Fergal O’Hanlon’s stayed in touch with a point on the 11th minute but this was quickly cancelled out when Fergal McGeough finished off a fine move with a superb long range point following excellent work by Pauric Reilly and Colin Quinn. Fergal O’Hanlon’s scored their last point on the 13th minute but the remaining fifteen minutes belonged to us as we totally dominated and additional scores from Dwayne Rooney 0-2, Colin Quinn 0-2, Keelan Clerkin, Shane Wynne and even Owen Fitzpatrick showed his scoring ability when he came forward and finished in style to leave the final score Rockcorry 1-17 Fergal O’Hanlon’s 1-5.

Team: Stephen Lynch, Cathal Sheridan, Owen Fitzpatrick 0-1, Pauric Reilly, Ryan Sharkey 0-1, Felix Granaghan, Conor McGeough, Keelan Clerkin 0-2, Liam Connolly 0-1, Kyle Rooney 0-1, Dwayne Rooney 0-4, Colin Quinn 0-2, Shane Wynne 0-1, Fergal McGeough 0-3, Seamus Carroll 1-1. Subs Used: Aaron Clerkin for Keelan Clerkin.

Please click the link below to watch a selection of action shots.

YouTube Preview Image

Alternatively you can log onto our Flickr page and view the photographs.