Rockcorry 1-13 Tyholland 1-14

Seniors Edged Out by Tyholland

Our senior team played Tyholland in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate league last Sunday 22nd April and will look back on this game as two points dropped. The game, which ebbed and flowed from the start, had patches of good quality football throughout however Tyholland proved more clinical in front of goals and this was ultimately the decisive factor as they clinched victory by the narrowest of margins Rockcorry 1-13 Tyholland 1-14.

Tyholland started the brighter and signalled their intent right from the throw-in and quickly opened up a 0-0 to 0-6 lead after fifteen minutes.  During the opening exchanges we struggled to get into the game and perhaps were unfortunate not to be on level terms because we squandered a number of scoring chances as Stephen McGuirk, Fergal McGeough and Dwayne Rooney kicked wide, Anthony Tate’s goal attempt rebounded off the crossbar and further efforts by Dwayne Rooney and Stephen McGuirk struck the uprights and sailed wide.

It wasn’t until the 18th minute that we registered our first score, Noel Carroll gliding over a sublime long range point. Mark McGuirk added another point soon afterwards when he converted a free-kick, after Paul McKeown was hauled down, and when Garry Calvert won possession on the 20th minute he off-loaded to Fergal McGeough who made a penetrating run through the Tyholland defence and he did well to set-up Anthony Tate, who made no mistake on this occasion, and rifled his shot past the Tyholland goal-keeper for a magnificent goal. We equalised on the 23rd minute after Dwayne Rooney was brought down and Mark McGuirk showed good composure and coolly tapped the free-kick over the bar to leave the score Rockcorry 1-3 Tyholland 0-6. Tyholland notched over points on the 26th and 27th minutes to restore a two point cushion and with the half time whistle approaching Anthony Tate slipped by his marker and fisted the ball over the bar to leave the score at the interval Rockcorry 1-4 Tyholland 0-8.

Anthony Tate skips away from his marker

The game resumed in typical fashion after the break and Tyholland were again the quickest out of the blocks and converted a free-kick after only twenty seconds.  This was quickly cancelled out when Paul McKeown popped over a sweat point but Tyholland responded well and hit back a minute later when they tapped over a free-kick to maintain a two point advantage. Paul McKeown pulled another one back when he was released down the right wing and he did brilliantly to curl over a fantastic point, from a tight angle, to put one between the sides. Tyholland seemed to have that extra gear and laboured for another free-kick on the 5th minute which they duly converted to stretch their lead, Rockcorry 1-6 Tyholland 0-11.

Mark McGuirk kicked wide on the 7th minute before Keith Daly sailed over a neat point and shortly afterwards when Mark McGurik collected the ball on the edge of the square his goal bound effort was well saved by the Tyholland goal-keeper. Conor McGeough was fouled on the 11th minute and his younger brother Fergal quickly delivered the free-kick to Mark McGuirk who found Garry Calvert in some space and he fired over a lovely point to put the sides back on level terms, Rockcorry 1-8 Tyholland 0-11.

A minute later Johnny Reilly had a wonderful opportunity to put us in front when he stole a couple yards on the Tyholland defence but once again the Tyholland goal-keeper showed quick reactions to deny us a goal. Sadly, there was a sting in the tail because thirty seconds later Tyholland counter-attacked and finished clinically to the corner of the net to restore their lead. This goal lifted Tyholland and they continued their ascendency and fired over additional points on the 13th and 20th minutes to open up a comfortable five point advantage, 1-8 to 1-13, going into the final ten minutes.

Paul McKeown on the attack

It was now our turn to respond and we had another good opportunity to reduce the arrears when Noel Carroll broke through the Tyholland defence but his shot at the target went agonisingly inches wide.  Paul McKeown scored a great point on the 24th minute to keep us in touch and when Mark Daly was introduced to the game for the last five minutes he was called upon immediately to take a free-kick which he duly sailed between the uprights to reduce the deficit to three points Rockcorry 1-10 Tyholland 1-13.

Tyholland pointed a free-kick on the 27th minute, to extend their lead but to the lads credit they fought back and during the closing stages we pushed forward and Mark Daly started the comeback when he glided over a terrific point on the 28th minute and this was quickly followed when Fergal McGeough split the posts to leave two points separating the sides.

With a two point deficit and a couple of minutes remaining the lads battled hard but could not find a way through the Tyholland defence and deep into injury time Mark Daly curled over another superb point from the right wing but unfortunately the sound of the final whistle meant that time ran out and Tyholland secured the two league points on a score-line Rockcorry 1-13 Tyholland 1-14.

To view a selection of action photographs on our Flickr site please click the link below:

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Conor McGeough, Damien Matthews, Keelan Clerkin, Stephen McGuirk, Johnny Reilly, Colin Quinn, Noel Carroll 0-1, Fergal McGeough 0-1, Garry Calvert 0-1, Paul McKeown 0-3, Dwayne Rooney, Mark McGuirk 0-2, Anthony Tate 1-1, John Greenan. Subs: Keith Daly 0-1 for John Greenan, Mark Daly 0-3 for Colin Quinn (injured)