Rockcorry 1-13 Sean McDermott’s 1-14

Disappointment as seniors suffer one point defeat

Our senior team played Sean McDermotts in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate league last Friday evening and were narrowly defeated on a score-line Rockcorry 1-13 Sean McDermotts 1-14.

The game got underway in pleasant weather conditions and Sean McDermotts got off to a highly encouraging start as they registered their first point from play ten seconds after the throw-in and forty seconds later they broke through our defence and burst the net with an unstoppable shot to take an early 0-0 to 1-1 lead.  At this juncture, I imagine many of our supporters feared the worst after recent lacklustre performances but in fairness to the lads they rallied and got themselves back into the game with scores coming from Martin Carroll, Paul McKeown, Mark Daly and Noel Carroll to leave the scoreboard showing 0-4 to 1-2 after seventeen minutes of the game played. Sean McDermott’s then enjoyed a mini purple patch that yielded three points without reply to restore a four point advantage, 0-4 to 1-5. At this stage we began to assert our authority on the game and when Noel Carroll was fouled on the 25th minute Stephen McGuirk converted the free-kick to reduce the gap to three points 0-5 to 1-5. Mark Daly pulled another one back a minute later following good work by Paul McKeown and Fergal McGeough and moments later Fergal McGeough scored a superb point to leave only a single point separating the sides. With half time approaching Mark Daly delivered a lovely pass into Conor McGeough who cut inside, held off a number of challenges and scored a peach of a point to leave the sides level at the break 0-8 to 1-5.

When play resumed Sean McDermott’s registered the first score when they pointed after fifty seconds. A couple of minutes later Mark Daly was fouled and Stephen McGuirk quickly setup Dwayne Rooney whose low trajectory shot shaved the crossbar. Sean McDermott’s regained the lead on the 6th minute when they converted a free-kick after Garry Calvert fouled his opponent and shortly afterwards they added another point from a free-kick, this time when Colin Reilly fouled his opponent. Mark Daly added points on the 13th and 15th minutes to level proceedings but this was quickly cancelled out as Sean McDermott’s cut through our defence, like a knife through butter, to restore a one point advantage 0-11 to 1-9. Dwayne Rooney appeared to have strong claims for a penalty, on the 19th minute, after he was hauled down but to everyone’s amazement the referee instead awarded a close-range free-kick which Stephen McGuirk tapped over. Sean McDermott’s gained the upper hand a minute later when they notched over another point and they edged further ahead moments later when a long delivery was pumped into our goalmouth area and it was not properly cleared as the corner forward gathered but he was fouled in the large parallelogram and they were awarded a penalty which was superbly saved by Jamie Smith but Sean McDermott players were quickest to react to the loose ball and fired over a point to open up a two point lead, leading 0-12 to 1-11. When Fergal McGeough was brought down on the 22nd minute Mark Daly curled over the free-kick to reduce the deficit back to a single point. However, Sean McDermott’s proceeded to take control of the game again and were finding it alarmingly easy to score as they turned our defence inside out and notched over a brace of points on the 26th, 29th and 31st minute to open up a four point gap. Now four points down and the game slipping away we needed a miracle if we were going to salvage anything from the game and we were awarded a penalty on the 34th minute which Mark Daly blasted home but it was too little, too late as seconds later the whistle sounded to leave the final score Rockcorry 1-13 Sean McDermott’s 1-14.

On reflection, our performance was a vast improvement on recent displays but we our still proving our own worst enemy as we were guilty of over playing the ball and simply weren’t direct enough. We did enjoy decent possession and had our moments but unfortunately we could not convert it onto the scoreboard. While 1-13 is a reasonable return and would win many league games the concession of 1-14 was inexcusable. There were times when Sean McDermott’s brushed us aside with embarrassing ease as we struggled to get to grips with the heat of battle. Another contributing factor was our team lineout which was significantly reconfigured with key players such as team captain Keith Daly, Mark McGuirk, Niall McKeown, Owen Fitzpatrick and Liam Connolly all missing due to injuries or holidays. However, in my mind this was a fixture which we were more than capable of winning as we still possessed an abundance of talent amongst the starting fifteen and we will need to perform much better and eliminate the unforced errors before we travel to play Aughnamullen this  weekend.

Please click the link below to view a selection of action photographs.

YouTube Preview Image