Rockcorry 0-7 Corduff 0-7

All square after tough encounter

Okay folks, tell the truth, who was feeling exhausted and totally drained after the game last Sunday afternoon? Come-on tell the truth, because, speaking for myself, I was totally worn-out both emotionally, and physically and I wasn’t even playing! The game was by no means a classic encounter as both teams struggled to cope with the wind, wet and the slippery underfoot conditions but it was such an absorbing contest, characterised by a tit-for-tat exchange, as neither side could get the edge and while the quality of football on view was never of the top-class quality there was never much between the sides on the scoreboard which resulted in a dramatic climax to the game as it ended all square.  

The game was played at Clontibret and there was no shortage of effort and determination from the lads and as expected there was very little between the sides and we just shaded the opening half and at the interval we led by 0-4 to 0-2. Corduff reasserted themselves at the start of the second half and were more clinical with their scoring chances and within ten minutes they quickly transferred a two point deficit into a one point advantage. At this stage we looked at sixes and sevens and, thankfully, a point from Mark McGuirk, on the 17th minute, seemed to settle the ship. We had opportunities to take the lead on the 21st and 22nd minutes but unfortunately we kicked wide while Corduff on the other hand made no mistake when they pointed, on the 24th minute, to regain the lead. The lads continued to battle away and an inspirational point from Mark Daly a minute later drew the sides level once again on 0-6 apiece and when Paul McKeown was fouled shortly afterwards, Mark Daly showed good composure and accuracy to glide over the free-kick to put us a point up with only a couple of minutes of normal time remaining. The final minutes felt like hours, it was tense, it was edgy and it was very, very nerve-racking and it was certainly not good for the heart as Corduff put our defence under severe pressure as they went in search for an equalizer and while we defended stoutly, in the last minute of injury time they were awarded a free-kick which they duly converted to take the game to a replay.

In fairness, a draw was probably a fair result as both teams were guilty of squandering several scoring opportunities through-out the course of the game and no doubt they will work on this before the replay which takes place tomorrow night Friday 16th September at 8.00pm in Inniskeen.

Rockcorry GAA Senior Panel

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Colin Reilly, Damien Matthews, Keith Daly, Stephen McGuirk 0-2, Barry Patterson, Niall McKeown, Mark Daly 0-3, Noel Carroll, Martin Carroll, Garry Calvert 0-1, Keelan Clerkin, Mark McGuirk 0-1, Paul McKeown and Dwayne Rooney. Subs: Fergal McGeough for Garry Calvert, Lorcan Smyth for Dwayne Rooney, Colin Quinn for Niall McKeown and Owen Fitzpatrick for Keelan Clerkin.

Please click the link below to view a selection of action photograph’s.

YouTube Preview Image