Rockcorry 0-21 Emyvale 1-9 (Reserve Team)

Monaghan Electric Reserve Football League Division 4 – Friday 23rd July

Reserve team maintain their winning ways

Team: Jamie Smith, Cathal Sheridan, Rory Carroll, Pauric Reilly, John Greenan, Colin Reilly 0-1, Ryan Sharkey,  Liam Connolly 0-2, Barry Patterson 0-1, Keelan Clerkin 0-2, Martin Carroll 0-1, Colin Quinn 0-3, Declan McCullagh, Mark McGuirk 0-5 and Anthony Tate 0-4.

Subs: Andrew Carroll for Anthony Tate, Josh Butler for John Greenan, Shane Wynne for Ryan Sharkey, Gerry O’Brien 0-2 for Mark McGuirk.

We played Emyvale in the Monaghan Electrical reserve league competition on Friday 23rd July and we started much the brighter of the two teams and dominated possession and territory for much of the opening half. The energetic Barry Patterson opened the scoring in the 2nd minute when he drove forward and slotted over a lovely point and when Colin Reilly collected a pass from Mark McGuirk in the 5th minute he notched over a fine point to extend our lead. What appeared to be a foul in the large parallelogram on Mark McGuirk, in the 5th minute, was given as a thirteen-metre free which Mark converted. Emyvale kicked wides in the 8th and 9th minute before Anthony Tate collected a pass from Barry Patterson and he curled over a terrific point. Liam Connolly raised the white flag in the 14th minute following good work by Martin Carroll. Colin Quinn kicked wide in the 16th minute before Anthony Tate made it 0-6 to 0-0 when he scored in the 18th minute.

Anthony Tate curls over a neat point

Shortly afterwards, Emyvale were awarded a penalty after Cathal Sheridan was deemed to fouled his opponent and the resulting kick was blasted down the middle past Jamie Smith to leave the score 0-6 to 1-0. Anthony Tate proved to be a real handful during the first half and added another point to his tally following good defensive work by Rory Carroll. A couple of minutes later Emyvale were awarded a free-kick and they launched a high ball into our square but Jamie Smith was able to clear the danger and we broke down the field at pace and when Mark McGuirk was brought down he tapped over the free-kick himself.

Ryan Sharkey battles his way out of defence.

Anthony Tate fisted wide in the 25th minute before Mark McGuirk increased our lead to six points when he fired confidently between the posts. Emyvale replied almost immediately and a minute later Martin Carroll got his name on the score-sheet following a tremendous run that involved a one-two with Keelan Clerkin and he sailed over a wonderful point. Good defending by Cathal Sheridan in the 29th minute thwarted an Emyvale attack but we were guilty of losing possession and Emyvale capitalized as they scored a point just on the stroke of half time to leave the score at the interval Rockcorry 0-10 to Emyvale 1-2.

Team selector Pauric Carroll gives instructions during the half time pep talk.

When the second half resumed we stamped our authority on the game straight away and hit seven points without reply in a fruitful ten minute spell to open up a twelve point lead. Colin Quinn started the scoring spree with a well taken shot, thirty seconds from the throw-in, after collecting a pass from Barry Patterson. Mark McGuirk was next to find the target when he scored a minute later and Keelan Clerkin extended our lead further with a sweet effort in the 5th minute. Keelan was unlucky not to add another when his attempt hit the post but Declan McCullagh was quickest to react and when he slipped a pass through to Colin Quinn he fired it over. We edged further ahead when Ryan Sharkey made a super run through the heart of the Emyvale defence in the 7th minute before off-loading to Anthony Tate who lobbed over a lovely point. A minute later Mark McGuirk picked out Colin Quinn with a pin point delivery and Colin showed admirable composure to sail over a terrific point.

Barry Patterson delivers a pass into his forward line.

In the 11th minute, it appeared that Colin Quinn extended our lead with what looked to be a perfectly good point but was waved wide by the referee after the umpires had initially awarded the score! There was no denying our next score however, as Liam Connolly collected a pass from Declan McCullagh and his rasping drive from close range went over the bar rather than under the crossbar. Emyvale responded in the 12th minute with a fine score but we extended our lead when Mark McGuirk kicked over in the 15th minute and three minutes later Keelan Clerkin added another point to make it 0-19 to 1-3.

John Greenan makes a challenge on his opponent

These scores gave us plenty of breathing space and it looked like we would run away with the game but suddenly we hit a bump as to Emyvale’s credit they started to find some momentum and during the 20th and 28th minutes they reduced the arrears back to seven points as they kicked six points without reply. With only a couple of minutes remaining our response was swift as we upped the tempo again and when Liam Connolly was brought down in the 29th minute Gerard O’Brien stepped up and converted the free-kick and shortly afterwards Geard O’Brien wrapped up the scoring with a sweet point to  leave the final score Rockcorry 0-21 Emyvale 1-9.

Apart from a bright spell in the last quarter when Emyvale battled back from 0-19 to 1-3 down to close the gap back to seven points we never really looked like being overturned! Our second half blitz when we scored seven points without reply was crucial as we had plenty to spare by the finish to maintain our winning ways.