Rockcorry 0-14 Donaghmoyne 2-15

Seniors go down despite fine display

In an exciting and action packed match our senior team played Donaghmoyne in the McGuigan Builders intermediate football championship on Friday 24th August. This was a winner-takes-all clash in terms of securing a place in this year’s semi-final and the game yielded a whopping thirty-one scores but it was Donaghmoyne’s two goal haul which effectively secured the victory as they march on to the final stages of the competition after an absorbing encounter. After a series of poor displays, particularly the disappointing performance last week against Doohamlet, this was a perfect chance to redeem ourselves and we got a gutsy response from the lads as they put in a huge effort with admirable honest endeavour but unfortunately despite producing a fine display we will feel very unlucky not to have garnered a win and sense this was definitely a game that we left behind!

The game was played in damp and slippery conditions but thankfully, the torrential rain seen during the day in the vicinity never materialised despite the dark clouds.  We started brightly and Noel Carroll pointed with exactly twenty seconds on the clock and Mark McGuirk doubled our lead with a well-taken point on the 2nd minute. A converted free-kick from Fergal McGeough on the 5th minute edged us further ahead and while Donaghmoyne kicked wides on the 8th and 9th minutes they did manage to open their account shortly afterwards when Colm Connolly pointed from play. Mark Daly pointed a free-kick on the 21st minute and when Paul McKeown was fouled a minute later Mark Daly stretched our lead when he sailed over the resultant free-kick, from long range, to open up a four point gap, 0-5 to 0-1. After dominating for large periods of the first half, Donaghmoyne then hit a purple patch and responded with four points of their own between the 25th and 30th minute, courtesy of Pauric Donaghy (2), Gary Woods and Colm Connolly to leave the half-time score Rockcorry 0-5 Donaghmoyne 0-5.

Inside the first twenty seconds, of the restart, lively half-back Johnny Reilly found the range when he surged goalwards and tapped the ball over the bar. With Donaghmoyne yet to emerge from the traps, Noel Carroll quickly added a delightful point following a wonderful display of high fielding by Barry Patterson and moments later when the ball broke invitingly for Mark McGuirk he finished in style to put some distance between the sides , leading 0-8 to 0-5 after five minutes. Donaghmoyne hit back with a point on the 7th minute but we then kicked three points in succession that included a mighty free-kick from Fergal McGeough a spectacular effort from Noel Carroll and an excellent finish by Paul McKeown to open up a five point advantage 0-11 to 0-6. Donaghmoyne missed scoring opportunities on the 12th and 13th minutes but they did manage to close the deficit two minute later when they converted a free-kick. Noel Carroll, added a classy point following a superb team move that involved numerous players to leave the score Rockcorry 0-12 Donaghmoyne 0-7 after nineteen minutes.

Within seconds we had a lucky escape because a goal effort from Donaghmoyne crashed off the woodwork but a minute later the writing was on the wall as they managed to tap a point over on the 22nd minute. With the game entering the last five minutes we enjoyed a four point cushion and it looked as if we were going to record a victory. Unfortunately, Donaghmoyne had other ideas and a late rally yielded 1-2 in the closing stages of normal time gave them a slender one point lead. The killer blow came on the 25th minute when Donaghmoyne managed to find the net with their first goal and a minute later they levelled the contest and shortly afterwards they converted a free-kick to put them a point to the good, leading Rockcorry 0-12 Donaghmoyne 1-10. With appoint behind and approaching injury time we made one last foray up the field in a bid to salvage something from the game, that we should have won, and Johnny Reilly showed admirable composure to send the ball between the posts with almost the last kick of the game to equalise and take the game to extra time. The final score after normal regulation time Rockcorry 0-13 Donaghmoyne 1-10.

We began extra time in blistering fashion and Noel Carroll hit over our first score on the 3rd minute. Donaghmoyne stayed in contention thanks to a fine point from play but then the real sucker punch arrived on the 8th minute when Donaghmoyne pounced for their second goal to leave the score after the first period of extra time Rockcorry 0-14 Donaghmoyne 2-11.

The team in red and white were now on the front foot and rattled over three free-kicks within the first three minutes to enjoy a healthy 0-14 to 2-14 lead. We now needed a goal and while the lads continued to battle hard they could not find a way through the Donaghmoyne rear-guard and when Mark McGuirk collected the ball on the twenty-one metre line and although there was a mass of bodies between him and the goals his shot managed to find the target but was well saved by the Donaghmoyne goal-keeper. It was now Donaghmoyne’s turn to attack and when they launched one last final attack they were awarded another free-kick which they duly lobbed over to seal a place in this year’s McGuigan Builders intermediate football championship semi-final on a final score-line Rockcorry 0-14 Donaghmoyne 2-15.

To view a selection of action photographs please click the link below:

Team & Scorers:  Jamie Smith, Keith Daly, Damien Matthews, Conor McGeough, Niall McKeown, Stephen Lynch, Johnny Reilly 0-2, Barry Patterson, Mark Daly 0-2, Martin Carroll, Fergal McGeough 0-2, Lorcan Smyth, Paul McKeown 0-1, Noel Carroll 0-5 and Mark McGuirk 0-2. Subs: Keelan Clerkin for Fergal McGeough, Garry Calvert for Martin Carroll and Anthony Tate for Lorcan Smyth.