Rockcorry 0-11 Cremartin 2-5

Exciting finish as Rock & Cremartin ends all square

Our senior team played Cremartin in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate league on Sunday 29th April and Cremartin looked set to collect the two league points when they led by 0-5 to 2-5 midway through the second half, but thankfully our lads rallied and indeed could have stolen a win in those exciting final minutes but the game ended all square Rockcorry 0-11 Cremartin 2-5.

The game was played in glorious sunny conditions, but a strong breeze blowing down the field and Cremartin playing with the wind advantage during the first half were quickly into their stride and blasted to the back of the net on the 5th minute. Mark Daly opened our account three minutes later when he converted a free-kick following a foul on Paul McKeown but Cremartin notched over free-kicks on the 12th and 14th minutes to lead 0-1 to 1-2. Lorcan Smyth scored a neat point, on the 15th minute, following good work by Noel Carroll and Johnny Reilly. However this was quickly cancelled out as Cremartin stretched their advantage when they blasted home from the penalty spot a minute later.

'Chip off the old block' Lorcan Smyth has the ball firmly in his grasp as he carries the ball out of defence

A point from a free-kick by Mark Daly on the 20th minute was followed by a great individual score by Mark McGuirk to reduce the deficit back to four points and just when it appeared we were getting into the game Cremartin slotted over another free-kick on the 23rd minute. Mark McGuirk pulled one back on the 27th minute but Cremartin finished the half the strongest and converted another free-kick on the 30th minute to leave the score at the interval Rockcorry 0-5 Cremartin 2-4.

Garry Calvert comes under pressure from two Cremartin players

On the restart, Cremartin increased their lead when they pointed from a free-kick, within a minute of the throw-up, after Damien Matthews was adjudged to have fouled his opponent and they could have gone further ahead when they broke through our defence but Jamie Smith did extremely well and made a fantastic save to deny them a goal opportunity. During the opening exchanges the momentum was with Cremartin and it was impossible to see a way back, but to the lads credit they showed tremendous character and when Lorcan Smyth fired between the uprights on the 12th minute the fight-back was on. Shortly afterwards and with a strong breeze on his back, Noel Carroll glided over a lovely point to narrow the gap back to four points, 0-7 to 2-5.

Jamie Smith makes a good save

Johnny Reilly came close to grabbing a goal, on the 16th minute, but his shot was directed towards the Cremartin goal-keeper who pushed it around the upright for a forty-five. The resultant kick was taken by Mark McGuirk and Dwayne Rooney raised the highest to claim the ball and he teed-up Garry Calvert who coolly fired over to put three points between the sides, 0-8 to 2-5. Damien Matthews made a surging run forward on the 18th minute and when he was brought down Mark McGuirk converted the free-kick and moments afterwards Lorcan Smyth brought us to within a single point when he tapped over a free-kick from close range to leave the score Rockcorry 0-10 Cremartin 2-5.

Dwayne Rooney keeps the ball as he makes his way through the gap

Both teams spurned scoring opportunities during the next eight minutes or so and with normal time nearly up Dwayne Rooney found space on the right wing and he sailed over a sweet point to draw the sides level, 0-11 to 2-5. Now with the sides level it was anyone’s game and in fairness both sides had their chances of a winner during injury time. First of all, Dwayne Rooney had an opportunity but his long-range attempt at the target drifted inches wide and when Cremartin were awarded a free-kick on 32nd minute we all thought it was curtains but it also went wide, to the relief of many, to leave the final score Rockcorry 0-11 Cremartin 2-5.

To view more action photographs of the game please click the link below to visit out Flickr page.

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Conor McGeough, Damien Matthews, Keelan Clerkin, Stephen McGuirk, Johnny Reilly, Colin Quinn, Mark Daly 0-3, Noel Carroll 0-1, Lorcan Smyth 0-3, Paul McKeown, Keith Daly, Mark McGuirk 0-2, Fergal McGeough and Anthony Tate. Subs: Garry Calvert 0-1 for Anthony Tate (injured) and Dwayne Rooney 0-1 for Fergal McGeough (injured)