Rock Sarsfields 3-10 Sean McDermotts 3-12

Minors lose out against Sean McDermotts

On Tuesday 17th May, our minor team played Sean McDermotts in the GRM minor football league division 2 and despite our best efforts we unfortunately lost out on a score-line Rock Sarsfields 3-10 Sean McDermotts 3-12.

Sean McDermotts started brightly and quickly established a 0-3 point lead within the first six minutes. Lorcan Smyth pulled one back from a free-kick on the 11th minute but Sean McDermotts dominated the following ten minutes and stretched their lead scoring 1-4 without reply to open up a commanding nine point advantage. Mark McGuirk added a point when he converted a free-kick on the 22nd minute but five minutes later Sean McDermotts hit again when they scored their second goal of the match. A point from play by Mark McGuirk just before the break left the half time score Rock Sarsfields 0-3 Sean McDermotts 2-7.

I imagine there was quite a strong pep talk during the interval as the lads took the field determined to reduce the deficit and we got the second half off to an ideal start when Fergal McGeough scored a goal after thirty seconds of play. Sean McDermotts rallied and quickly cancelled this out when they fired over points on the 2nd, 3rd and 7th minutes to maintain a ten point lead 1-3 to 2-10. A minute later Mark McGuirk blasted in our second goal and Christopher Kilpatrick notched over a fine point to close the gap back to six points. However, Sean McDermotts response was instant as thirty or so seconds later we were taking the ball out of our nets as they struck their third goal to keep a healthy lead, leading 2-4 to 3-10.

Both teams converted free-kicks on the 14th and 15th minutes respectively and further scores from Christopher Kilpatrick on the 18th minute and Mark McGuirk on the 20th minute left the scoreboard reading 2-7 to 3-11.  Moments later Sean McDermotts extended their lead when they slotted over a fine point from play, which happened to be their last score of the game. The remaining ten minutes we dominated possession and scores from Gavin Farrelly 0-1, Mark McGuirk 0-1, Christopher Kilpatrick 0-1 and a goal on the 30th minute we managed to close the gap back to a couple of points. During the closing stages the lads continued to look for that crucial goal but despite their best efforts they were unable to penetrate the Sean McDermotts defence and as the final whistle blew the final score-line was Rock Sarsfields 3-10 Sean McDermotts 3-12.