Rock Sarsfields 0-14 Latton 1-8

Minor team emerge in tight tussle

Our minor team, Rock Srasfields, played Latton on Tuesday 26th June in the GRM minor football league division 2 campaign and emerged with a narrow but fully deserved victory after a closely-fought but often scrappy encounter (particularly during the first half) on a score-line Rock Sarsfields 0-14 Latton 1-8. Apart from a couple of outstanding scores during the opening period the fare on offer was generally sub-standard and you would have been forgiven if you accidently nodded off, but the closeness of the scoring made for an interesting contest.

We opened the scoring when Gerard Graham tapped over a free-kick on the 4th minute. Latton drew level on the 8th minute with a lovely point from play and they took the lead on the 22nd minute with another neat point and they stretched their lead on the 26th minute when they pointed from a free-kick. Shortly afterwards Gerard Graham was brought down and Fergal McGeough converted the free-kick to leave the scoreboard showing Rock Sarfields 0-2 Latton 0-3 at the interval

Thankfully, the half-time pep talk seemed to have the desired effect on the players because the second half was more livelier  with both sides putting in a much improved effort and in the process producing some scintillating football. Latton registered the first score of the second half with barely a minute on the clock but this was quickly cancelled out when Dion Conlon slotted over a beautiful point from the right wing. Latton restored their two point advantage moments later when they lobbed over a free-kick but once again we responed swiftly and this time Iain McConnon glided over a long range point and Fergal McGeough levelled proceedings with a trademark score to  leave the score Rock Sarsfields 0-5 Latton 0-5 after five minutes.

John McGuirk pointed on the 8th minute to put us in front but Latton replied immediately with a good point from play.  At this juncture we upped the ante and hit a purple patch and Lorcan Smyth started it off with a wonderful point from thirty metres. Iain McConnon fired between the posts on the 11th minute and Lorcan Smyth converted a free-kick on the 15th minute and kicked over another fabulous point from forty metres to leave the score Rock Sarsfield 0-10 Latton 0-6. Latton closed the gap on the 18th minute with a fine point but a couple of minutes later Fergal McGeough sailed over a superb point and this was quickly followed by another great score this time from the boot of Iain McConnon and it appeared he could do no wrong because moments later he fired over again to stretch our advantage to six points, 0-13 to 0-7.

Latton closed the deficit on the 25th minute when they converted a penalty and pointed shortly afterwards to leave the dreaded two points separating the sides with only a couple of minutes remaining but Iain McConnon had the last say when he tapped over a free-kick following good work by Aaron Clerkin to leave the final score Rock Sarsfield 0-14 Latton 1-8.

To view a selection of action photographs from this game please click the link below to visit our Flickr page.