Na Fianna 1-7 Rock Sarsfields 2-14

Rock Sarsfields prove too clinical for Na Fianna

After the disappointing defeat against Killanny last week our minor team travelled to Tyholland on Tuesday 2nd August to play Na Fianna in the GRM minor football league campaign and got back on the winning track as they proved too clinical and collected the spoils with a 1-7 to 2-14 victory.

The game was played in perfect conditions and Na Fianna opened the scoring on the 6th minute when they pointed from play. It took our lads a while to warm up as they kicked seven bad wides and dropped a couple of balls into the goal-keepers hands before we registered our first score which arrived on the 18th minute and came from the boot of Mark McGuirk. Mark McGuirk added another point a couple of minutes later when he converted a free-kick and Christopher Kilpatrick extended our lead when he slotted over a lovely point to leave the score 0-1 to 0-3 after twenty minutes. On the 23rd minute Na Fianna tapped over a free-kick and moments afterwards we had a glorious opportunity to stretch our advantage when Mark Quigley broke through the Na Fianna defence and was one-on-one with the goal-keeper but his shot was well saved.

Mark McGuirk converted another free-kick on the 26th minute to restore a two point gap but when John Greenan was alleged to have fouled his opponent, on the 28th minute, Na Fianna scored the resulting free-kick. A minute later Aaron Clerkin showed quick reactions when he made a superb save to deny Na Fianna a goal chance and with half time approaching Gerard Graham sailed over a fabulous point to leave the score at the interval Na Fianna 0-3 Rock Sarsfields 0-5.

When play resumed Na Fianna were quickly off the mark when they notched over a fine point on the 4th minute. Keelan Clerkin, now playing at midfield, kicked wide on the 7th minute but he won the ensuing kick-out and he off-loaded to Lorcan Smyth who delivered a measured pass into Fergal McGeough who blasted the ball to the back of the net to open up a four point gap 0-4 to 1-5. Unfortunately, this was quickly cancelled out as Na Fianna broke down the field at pace and managed to fire a low shot to the corner of the net to keep in touch. Thankfully, to the lad’s credit, they regrouped and responded with a sweeping move and when Mark McGuirk collected a pass from Keelan Clerkin his rasping shot rifled past the Na Fianna goal-keeper to restore a four point advantage. At this stage we were motoring and the following five minutes we began to dominate possession and notched over three unanswered points from Finnian Smith, John McGuirk and Mark McGuirk to open up a 1-4 to 2-8 lead.

Na Fianna hit back with points on the 20th and 24th minute to close the deficit back to five points but their revival was short lived as further scores from John Greenan, Mark McGuirk and John McGuirk restored a seven point advantage 1-6 to 2-10. Na Fianna pointed on the 26th minute but we had the last say as Lorcan Smyth fired over two splendid points and John Greenan completed the scoring on the 30th minute with a tap-over to leave the final score Na Fianna 1-7 Rock Sarsfields 2-14.

While team management will be very happy with the victory and collecting the two league points I imagine the recording of ten wides during the first half, most of them scoreable, will give them cause for concern. Over the course of the game the lads worked hard for each other and showed good team spirit. The forwards Mark McGuirk, John McGuirk, Finnian Smith and John Greenan scored some beautiful points, while Iain McConnon, Lorcan Smyth, Macartan Kierans, and Eoghan MacDomhnaill was outstanding in their defence. Christopher Kilpatrick, Mark Quigley and Keelan Clerkin orchestrated a lot of attacks while Fergal McGeough and Gerard Graham were very industrious around the middle of the field.  Despite the comprehensive nature of their win, we will need to up our game considerably ahead of our clash against neighbours Latton on Tuesday 16th August and our championship semi-final encounter against Magheracloone on Tuesday 23rd August. Well done lads and keep up the good work.

Please click the link belows to view a selection of action photographs on our Flickr page and You Tube

YouTube Preview Image

Team & Scorers: Aaron Clerkin, Iain McConnon, Keelan Clerkin, Eoghan MacDomhnaill, Macartan Kierans, Lorcan Smyth 0-2, Christopher Kilpatrick 0-1, Fergal McGeough 1-0, Gerard Graham 0-1, Mark Quigley, Finnian Smith 0-1, John Greenan 0-2, Adrian Leavey, Mark McGuirk 1-5, John McGuirk 0-2.