Killeevan 5-15 Rock-Emmets 3-9

Spirited performance not enough as Under 16’s lose semi-final clash

Our under 16 team, Rock Emmets, concluded their league campaign on Thursday 16th August when they played Kileevan in the semi-final. Unfortunately a brave and spirited performance by our lads was not enough on the night as a strong and powerful Killeevan side secured a place in the final with a comfortable and a deserved twelve point victory 5-15 to 3-9 and congratulations to them on their victory.

Killeevan starter the brighter and controlled the early exchanges and within the first five minutes they had notched up an impressive 1-2. It took us six minutes to register our first point courtesy of a lovely score from Shane Kierans and he added another point on the 11th minute to leave the score 1-2 to 0-2. The following five minutes of the match Killeevan reasserted their dominance and pointed from play on the 12th minute and when they bamboozled our defence on the 15th minute they were awarded a penalty which they duly crashed to the back of the net and barely a minute had passed when they notched over another point to lead 2-4 to 0-2 after seventeen minutes. We pulled a point back on the 18th minute but Killeevan responded in style on the 20th minute with a fine point from the right wing. The remaining minutes of the half we controlled the game and Shane Kierans scored a cracker of a goal from an acute angle on the 28th minute and Tyler O’Hanlon sailed over a neat point to leave the score at the interval Killeevan 2-5 Rock Emmets 1-5.

Those scores before the break seemed to touch a nerve with Killeevan because all that good work by us was undone in an eight minute blitzkrieg at the start of the second half.  Killeevan were a team on a mission and they were straight out of the traps and completely dominated the opening exchanges and notched up a remarkable 3-5 without reply to take a commanding 5-10 to 1-5 advantage. At this stage we were finding it hard to raise our game and thankfully Tyler O’Hanlon stopped the rot when he pointed on the 11th minute but this was quickly cancelled out with another point from Killeevan. We were struggling at this stage but got a break on the 14th minute when Caolan Gallagher was fouled in the large square and Andrew McPhillips blasted the ball to the back of the net to leave the score Killeevan 5-11 Rock Emmets 2-6.

Killeevan scored further points on the 21st and 22nd minutes and in fairness our lads showed great spirit and never gave up as they continued to work hard for each other and were rewarded for their efforts on the 24th minute with another penalty and up stepped Andrew McPhillips who showed good composure to once again hit the back of the net to leave the scoreboard showing Killeevan 5-13 Rock Emmets 3-6. Both teams exchanged points during the last five minutes to leave the final score Killeevan 5-15 Rock Emmets 3-9.

To view a selection of action photographs from the game please click the link below.


Team: Aaron McGorman, Micheal Smith, Eoin Clerkin, Mark Duffy, Paddy James, Andrew McPhillips, Shane Kierans, Fergal O’Hanlon, Killian Clerkin, Tommy Smith, Tyler O’Hanlon. Subs Caolan Gallagher and Cameron O’Leary.