Inniskeen 0-7 Rockcorry 1-14

Gutsy Performance by Senior Team Secure First League Win

The senior team travelled to Pairc Grattan on Wednesday 25th April to take on Inniskeen in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate football league. The game was played in bitterly cold, wet and miserable conditions and only the true hardy souls turned up to support the team.  A healthy breeze favoured Inniskeen during the first half but we registered the first score when Mark Daly tapped over with just thirty seconds gone on the clock.  Inniskeen missed scoring opportunities on the 6th, 8th and 9th minutes but did manage to open their account on the 10th minute and shortly afterwards they took the lead with another well taken point.

Two minutes later when Noel Carroll was fouled bearing down on goals and Mark Daly’s free-kick effort hit the upright but Noel Carroll was the quickest to react and collected the rebound and fired over from a tight angle to draw the sides levels with 0-2 apiece. Paul McKeown added a point on the 17th minute following a patient build-up but this was immediately cancelled out when Inniskeen slotted over a point.

We retook the lead on the 18th minute when Mark McGuirk scored a lovely point but during the closing stages of the first half Inniskeen controlled possession and the next five minutes they were guilty of squandering scoring chances, kicking wide on four occasions, but they did equalise on the 25th minute with a fine point from play.  The remainder of the half Inniskeen finished the stronger and converted free-kicks on the 27th and 29th minutes to take a 0-6 to 0-4 lead at the interval.

On the restart the game decisively swung to our advantage as we emerged the fresher and hungrier team and totally dominated the match. All the wayward shooting and passing that we witnessed in our opening league games vanished as the scores came hot and heavy. Mark McGuirk put us within a point when he scored on the 2nd minute and moments later he slotted over another breath-taking point to level proceedings at 0-6 apiece. We took the lead, on the 4th minute, when Lorcan Smyth curled over a sublime point from an acute angle and a minute later the reliable Mark McGuirk added another point following a string of passes involving Mark Daly, Anthony Tate and Noel Carroll.

Mark McGuirk was on the score-sheet again when he effortlessly sailed the ball between the posts and Paul McKeown, whose hunger and pace was proving a handful for the Inniskeen defence, slotted the ball over the bar  on the 8th minute to open up a four point advantage 0-6 to 0-10. Colin Quinn made a timely intersection on the 9th minute that instigated a lovely move down the field and when Lorcan Smyth found some space on the edge of the square he was through on goals but the Inniskeen goal-keeper saved brilliantly.  A well taken point by Mark Daly on the 13th minute was quickly followed when Noel Carroll glided over a lovely point to put six points between the sides and Inniskeen registered their only score of the second half, on the 16th minute, to leave the scoreboard showing Inniskeen 0-7 Rockcorry 0-12.

Some good inter-passing between Keith Daly and Noel Carroll opened up a gap in the Inniskeen defence to put Paul McKeown through on goals and while a goal opportunity was there for the taking he sensibly fired the ball over the bar to restore our six point margin. Inniskeen had a rare attack on the 22nd minute but strong, courageous and tenacious defending by Damien Matthews, Keelan Clerkin and Conor McGeough forced them to kicked wide.

Our goal came on the 24th minute and we definitely owe a debt to lady luck, because it was a little fortuitous! A shot from Paul McKeown was accidentally mishandled by the Inniskeen goal-keeper and dropped into the back of the net. Dwayne Rooney completed the scoring on the 27th minute with a monstrous long range point to leave the final score Inniskeen 0-7 Rockcorry 1-14.

Paul McKeown battles with his opponent

Mark McGuirk has the pace to pull away from his marker

Damien Matthews shows his John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever moves!

Please click the link below to view a selection of action photographs on our Flickr page.

Team & Scorers: Jamie Smith, Conor McGeough, Damien Matthews, Keelan Clerkin, Stephen McGuirk, Johnny Reilly, Colin Quinn, Mark Daly 0-2, Noel Carroll 0-2, Keith Daly, Paul McKeown 1-3, Dwayne Rooney 0-1,  Anthony Tate, Mark McGuirk 0-5 and Lorcan Smyth 0-1. Subs: Rory Carroll for Stephen McGuirk (injured), Ross Murray for Lorcan Smyth.