Currin 2-11 Rockcorry 0-12

Rock Horror Currin Show

With recent victories over Aughnamullen and Drumhowan we travelled to Scotshouse on Sunday 7th August to play Currin in the Monaghan Electrical intermediate football league high on confidence and with plenty of optimism. Unfortunately, the old adage that goals win games proved to be very true as Currin won this contest during the first three minutes and secured the victory on a final score-line Currin 2-11 Rockcorry 0-12.

The game was played in glorious sunny conditions and Currin set out their stall early in the game when they had the ball in the back of the net after thirty seconds. A point followed shortly afterwards and on the 2nd minute we were rattled again when they bagged their second goal. Twenty seconds later they registered another point to give them a commanding 2-2 to 0-0 advantage, a lead they would never subsequently relinquish. Currin stretched their lead when they pointed from play on the 12th minute and at this stage of the game we were at sixes and sevens. Thankfully, we opened our account on the 18th minute when Mark Daly converted a free-kick following a foul on Noel Carroll. Paul McKeown kicked a fine point on the 21st minute to pull one back but Currin responded in style and notched over three unanswered points on the 23rd, 24th and 26th minutes to take a 2-6 to 0-2 lead. Mark McGuirk scored a neat point on the 28th minute and moments later he sailed over a forty-five to leave the score at the interval Currin 2-6 Rockcorry 0-4.

The second half was only eighteen seconds old when Dwayne Rooney pointed following a penetrating solo run by Keelan Clerkin and moments later he made another surging run and finished in style with a superb point. Dwayne Rooney kicked wide on the 2nd minute and when Niall McKeown was brought down, on the 4th minute, Stephen McGuirk converted the free-kick to leave the scoreboard showing Currin 2-6 Rockcorry 0-7. Currin kicked a point on the 6th minute and when Mark Daly was fouled a couple of minutes later Stephen McGuirk showed his accuracy and bisected the uprights. However, Currin response was immediate and pointed from a free-kick to maintain a six point gap, leading 2-8 to 0-8. Paul McKeown went agonisingly close to scoring a goal on the 12th minute but his shot rebounded of the upright. Dwayne Rooney converted a free-kick on the 13th minute but sadly Currin bounced back and pointed from a free-kick on the 16th minute. In fairness, the lads were trying desperately hard during the second half and managed to close the deficit back to three points when they notched over three unanswered points. The first came on the 18th minute when Barry Patterson popped up on the left wing and glided over a lovely point. Mark Daly scored the second when he converted a free-kick on the 20th minute and when Paul McKeown was brought down on the 25th minute Mark Daly stepped up and tapped over the free-kick to leave the score Currin 2-9 Rockcorry 0-12. Unfortunately, that was as good as it got and it proved to be our last score as we could not maintain our momentum and Currin fired over two late points to leave the final score Currin 2-11 Rockcorry 0-12.

Please click the links below to view a selection of action photographs.

YouTube Preview Image