Currin 0-7 Rockcorry 1-15 (Reserve Team)


Reserve team secure semi-final spot with electrifying display

Team: Jamie Smith, Cathal Sheridan, Rory Carroll, Pauric Reilly, Ryan Sharkey, Colin Reilly, Colin Quinn, Barry Patterson 0-1, Liam Connolly 0-1, Keelan Clerkin 0-2, Martin Carroll 0-2, Conor McGeough, Declan McCullagh, Mark McGuirk 1-7, and Anthony Tate 0-2.

 Subs: John Greenan for Pauric Reilly (injured), Josh Butler for Declan McCullagh.

Our reserve team travelled to Currin on Monday 30th August knowing that it was make or break time as we needed to overcome them in order to secure a semi-final position as they trailed us by a single point in the league table and victory for either team would clinch that qualifying spot. Despite the fact that it took us a while to warm up, little by little, we got into the game and took control as the team produced some delightful football and secured the semi-final spot on a score-line Currin 0-7 Rockcorry 1-15.

The game was played in excellent weather conditions and Mark McGuirk opened the scoring on the 1st minute with a fine score after collecting a pass from Anthony Tate. Currin kicked wide a minute later but they registered their first score on the 4th minute to level proceedings. Seven minutes elapsed before the next score which arrived when Currin converted a free-kick in the 11th minute to take the lead. A minute later Keelan Clerkin made a penetrating solo run towards goals and he off-loaded to Mark McGuirk who was through on goals and should have put us back in front but surprisingly he miss hit his shot and it went wide. We drew level midway through the first half when Martin Carroll scored an excellent point after he collected a pass from Colin Quinn, inside his own half, and soloed through the heart of the Currin defence before slotting over from thirty metres. This kick started us into action and shortly afterwards Keelan Clerkin fired over a lovely point to take the lead.

Cathal Sheridan is on hand to halt a Currin attack.

Currin were guilty of squandering a couple of chances on the 18th and 19th minutes and when they launched another attack shortly afterwards good defending by the tigerish Cathal Sheridan broke down their attack and as we raced down field at pace it appeared that Barry Patterson turned into trouble but he withheld a couple of solid tackles before setting up Liam Connolly for a goal opportunity but he scuffed his shot into the ground and the ball was easily gathered by the goal keeper. 

Barry Patterson sets up Liam Connolly for a goal opportunity

A well engineered move on the 23rd minute saw Ryan Sharkey, Liam Connolly and Keelan Clerkin exchange swift passes to tee up Barry Patterson who notched over a wonderful score.  Mark McGuirk added a point on the 25th minute after a fine flowing move involving Ryan Sharkey and Martin Carroll to open up a 0-5 to 0-2 advantage. Two minutes later Barry Patterson delivered a lovely pass into Anthony Tate and he showed great perseverance after having his initial route to goal blocked and he laid the ball back to Martin Carroll who sailed over a sweet point. Mark McGuirk extended our lead on the 29th minute when he collected a pass from Liam Connolly and when Currin converted a free-kick on the 31st minute this was the last action of the first half and the score at the break was Currin 0-3 Rockcorry 0-7. 

Martin Carroll gets the better of his opponent in this action shot.

We began the second half just as we did the first with Mark McGuirk, who was deadly accurate all throughout the game, notching over points on the 1st and 3rd minutes to stretch our lead to six points. For some reason the game turned scrappy with plenty of attacks being broken down, shots dropping shot into goal-keepers hands by both sides as things became rather ragged however, this period of indecisiveness was halted when Currin converted a free-kick on the 10th minute. Currin narrowed the gap further when they added points in the 12th and 15th minutes to leave the score 0-6 to 0-9.

Pauric Reilly on the ball as he attempts to clear his defence.

However, we produced an immediate response when Mark McGuirk managed to get on the end of a lovely move downfield that involved Liam Connolly, Keelan Clerkin and Anthony Tate to blast home from close range as he hit the back of the net. At this stage we were relentless and a couple of minutes later Keelan Clerkin increased our lead when he added a great point and when substitute John Greenan delivered a measured pass into Mark McGuirk, on the 19th minute, he threaded a lovely pass through to Anthony Tate who rounded his opponent and tapped over a superb score.

Conor McGeough makes a determined run to win possession.

Currin stayed in touch when they converted a free-kick in the 20th minute but when Martin Carroll was dragged down around the midfield area he delivered a pass to Liam Connolly who quickly shifted the ball across field to Mark McGuirk who stepped up and calmly slotted over a great point to make it 0-7 to 1-12. Anthony Tate kicked wide shortly afterwards but Liam Connolly raised the white flag moments later with a terrific score. Mark McGuirk added another point to his tally on the 25th minute to put ten between the sides and Currin’s misery was complete on the 28th minute when Mark McGuirk turned provider as he played in Anthony Tate who atoned for his earlier miss to coolly fire over to leave the final score Currin 0-7 Rockcorry 1-15.

Colin Quinn gets away from the challenge of his marker.

At times during this game the lads were very impressive in every line on the field and simply had too much fire power for Currin in the end. Having said that, Currin made it difficult for us especially in an extremely scrappy third quarter and we would need to work on this as we now progress to a semi-final clash. Well done lads and the best of luck to you in the semi-final.

Rory Carroll moves in to make a challenge

Declan McCullagh does not let his opponent out easy.