Club Notes 26th July

Sun Glorious Fun

Summer well and truly arrived last Sunday when we held our vintage hay festival for we had a scorching hot day plus some of the best traditional hay making machinery, vintage cars, tractors accompanied with loads of other side shows and not to sound over enthusiastic in my praise for our latest family day out but it was quite simply an abby-dabby-doooooooooooooooo GREAT day out. That is exactly what took place as there was overwhelming support from the community as huge crowds of locals and people from surrounding areas turned out to support the day which featured a number of fun events throughout the course of the day. The food and cake stand went down a treat and many thanks to all the ladies for making sandwiches and other treats available and making sure the energy levels stayed high. Many thanks to Cathal Fury for offering his field for carparking facilities which was very much appreciated by the club. It is unfair to single out any one person when so many people put in tremendous amount of work to make the weekend a huge success so on behalf of the club I would really like to say thank you to everyone who made a contribution and for helping out on the day. Well done everybody.

Bosco Carroll Memorial Cup

As part of our vintage festival held last Sunday an under 10 football competition took place in memory of my late father Bosco Carroll. Four clubs, Rockcorry, Latton, Aghabog and Killeevan, battled it out to become the inaugural winners of this trophy and after two electrifying games of football (Latton v Killeevan and Rockcorry v Aghabog) the Latton and Rockcorry teams progressed to the final. The final was truly a titanic battle and was undoubtedly the game of the tournament as both teams were evenly matched and all players treated the massive crowd to a great game of football but in the end the Latton team just pipped our wee warriors by a couple of points to claim the victory and be first club to win trophy. In a way, it was fitting that the team captain of Latton, Darragh Dempsey, who is a grandson of the late Bosco Carroll, collected the cup from Ann Carroll. On behalf of the club and my family I would like to thank the Latton, Aghabog, Killeevan and our own club for taking part in the competition and for making it such a wonderful and enjoyable occasion. Finally, many thanks to Pascal Smyth for organizing the competition and to Anthony Tate for refereeing the games. Thanks Lads.

Monaghan Electrical Intermediate League

Following our victory over Drumhowan in the McGuigan Builders intermediate championship we travelled to play them again on Wednesday 20th July this time in the league campaign. During the first half it was Drumhowan who looked the more aggressive and dominated possession as we played second fiddle for long periods yet still managed to go in at the break with 0-4 points apiece. Thankfully, during the second half we were much improved as all players gave a courageous and at times produced an heroic performance which resulted in a sensational win against a very strong-willed Drumhowan side on a final score-line Drumhowan 1-6 to Rockcorry 0-13. Their next outing in the league campaign is on Sunday 7th August when we travel to play Currin.

McGuigan Builders Intermediate Championship

We have been drawn against Eire Og in the next round of the intermediate championship. The Eire Og club our opening their new playing field on Sunday 14th August so our encounter will probably be played the following weekend (19th, 20th, 21st August).

Maguire Transport Minor Championship

The minor football championship got underway on Tuesday 19th July when we traveled to Threemilehouse to play Sean McDermott’s. We opened the scoring on the 1st minute when Fergal McGeough pointed from play. Sean McDermott’s hit back when they converted a close range free-kick on the 4th minute. Mark McGuirk got our second score, on the 8th minute, when he pointed a free-kick following a foul on Lorcan Smyth. Gerard Graham notched over points on the 10th and 12th minutes but we were guilty of some poor passing on the 17th minute and Sean McDermott’s capitalised with a neat point. Over the next four minutes we hit four unanswered points. The first came from the boot of Mark McGuirk when he pointed a free-kick on the 20th minute. Lorcan Smyth got the second, a minute later, when he glided over a sweat point and when Keelan Clerkin broke down a Sean McDermott’s attack it instigated a lovely move down the field which was finished in style by Mark McGuirk. Mark McGuirk completed our mini purple patch when he notched over another point on the 24th minute to open up a 0-2 to 0-8 advantage. The game was temporarily stopped to allow treatment for a Sean McDermott’s player and sadly he had to be stretchered off with a suspected knee injury and we wish him a speedy recovery. When the game resumed Sean McDermott’s responded with a point on the 36th minute to leave the half time score Sean McDermott’s 0-3 Rock Sarsfields 0-8. We started the second half the fresher and hungrier team and stretched our lead on the 2nd minute when Mark McGuirk showed great composure and coolly rifled home a penalty kick. Sean McDermott’s pulled one back when they converted a free-kick on the 4th minute but at this stage we began to stamp our authority on the game and managed to keep them scoreless for the next twenty minutes. When Adrian Reevy was fouled on the 7th minute Mark McGuirk duly converted the free-kick and moments later Gerard Graham showed great persistence and determination when he cut along the end line and fisted over the bar for a wonderful score. Eoin McDonald was fouled shortly afterwards and Mark McGuirk had a fairly simply task tapping over a close range free-kick and when Ian McConnon surged forward, on the 18th minute, he curled over a terrific point to make it 0-4 to 1-12. Mark McGuirk added two more superbly pointed free-kicks on the 19th and 22nd minutes before Lorcan Smyth collected a good ball from Gerard Graham and pointed in style. Mark McGuirk followed this up with a well taken point on the 24th minute after he broke through the Sean McDermott’s defence and sensibly fisted the ball over the bar. With five minutes of ordinary time remaining our dominance of possession was evident but in our eagerness to finish off the opposition our defence was caught out of position and Sean McDermott’s launched a frantic attack and they were rewarded with a goal. However, we had the final say when substitute John McGuirk fired over a fabulous point from a tight angle to leave the final score Sean McDermott’s 1-4 Rock Sarsfields 1-17.

GRM Minor Football League Division 2

Last Tuesday 26th July the minor team travelled to play Killanny in the GRM minor football league. Please log onto for all latest fixtures and results.

Under 14 Team

Their next outing is on Saturday 13th August when they take on Drumhowan at Pairc Naomh Mhuire and the game has a throw-in time of 12.00 noon.

Under 12 Team

The next outing for our under 12 team is on Thursday 11th August when they travel to play Emyvale and the game has a throw-in time of 6.45pm.

Under 8 Coaching

Under 8’s football training continues on Saturday mornings from 10.00am – 11.15am. All five, six, seven and eight year olds are welcome to attend.

Top 4 Lotto Results

The numbers drawn last Monday night were 1, 6, 17 and 18. There was no jackpot winner of €8,200.00. The following won €15 each :- Annie Cusack Aghabog, Margaret Fox Rockcorry, Nicky Calvert Rockcorry, Seamus McGuirk Rockcorry, Rose Greenan Swans Cross, Owen Connell Monaghan, Sean Greenan Rockcorry, Colin & Selina Dartrey. Next week our jackpot will be €8,300.00 and the draw will take place in Aghabog GAA Complex. Thank you for supporting our Top 4 lotto draw.